On Wed, 6 Aug 1997 13:37:22 PDT, "Bruce A. Myers" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

Thanks Tina...I got some great ideas from your post.  I love the:

 2 - What to expect when you come
        a - 5 minutes before a paper is due
        b - 1/2 hour before a paper is due
        c - 1 hour before a paper is due
        d - 1 day before a paper is due
                e - 1 week before a paper is due

I am interested in learning how many "Writing Centers" are a walk-in
service, how many are appointment based, and how many are a
combination of the two.  I am going to be off campus for a couple of weeks
but I am really looking forward to hearing what all of you are doing.  We
are currently a walk-in service and I am considering moving towards some
combination of walk-in and appointment.

Thanks in advance.
Bruce A. Myers

Academic Skills Center          Telephone:      (815) 933-0335
Kankakee Community College      E-Mail:         [log in to unmask]
P.O. Box 888, River Road
Kankakee, IL      60901

Kankakee Community College - Academic Skills Center:
http://www.geocities.com/athens/acropolis/1819/asc.html

Personal Homepage :
http://www.geocities.com/athens/acropolis/1819/bmyers.html

My reply:

I, too, got a huge kick out of Tina's list, especially since we've
had a flood of students this week who just realized, "Hey, portfolios
are do this week!  Guess I better get the ol' tutors at the Writing
and Reading Assistance Center to bail me out."  Believe me, I'll be
designing posters from Tina's list this term break and posting them
in conspicuous places!  I'll even turn them into a flyer to pass out
during orientation!

our centers here at Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute, we
have a combination of walkin (most students) and appointments (we
encourage this from day one, but few students do this, I'm sorry to
say.)  Appointments would definitely make it easier on tutors, since
we tend to be either swamped (the day assignments are due, of
course!) or twiddling our thumbs!

In addition, we offer instructor referrals.  Instructors can refer
students for help with specific topics (organization, sentence
structure, etc.).   This is probably the most useful way to address
tutoring, if you can get buy-in from instructors.  Otherwise,
students still want to "fix" everything that's wrong with their
papers in one fifteen minute/half-hour session (or else they want to
have a tutor's total attention all day)!

No matter how often we tell students we don't "fix" papers (and this
edict is posted all over the place!) this still seems to be the
students' expectation of the function of tutoring.  How does everyone
else address this problem?  I can't imagine our students are unique
in this respect.  Here, we tend to repeat that "rewriting is one of
the most important parts of the writing process" and stress that
rewriting is best done one error pattern at a time.  Organization
first, etc.  Students, however, always want to address comma use
first!  Why do you suppose this is?  My theory is that somebody out
there is telling students from grade one that commas are the most
important thing in the English language;  the heck with clarity of
thought and logic (which most students seem never to have heard of!),
commas are it--get them right and the whole paper will fall together!

I'd love to hear what other folks' experiences are.

Peggy Keller
Lead Learning Assistant for English
Assistance Centers for Education
Department of Adult and Developmental Education
Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute
525 Buena Vista SE
Albuquerque, NM  87106