At Santa Barbara City College, we have a 3-level courses in reading in
our Essential Skills dept.  For the highest level, which may be
comparable to our 10-13 level, we use REREADING AMERICA.  All the
instructors like the book, and have been using it for several years
now.  For the middle level, we use a variety:  BREAKING THROUGH,
LANGAN'S 10 STEPS, ALL OF US, READING SKILLS HANDBOOK, AND READING
BEYOND THE WORD.

Elida Moreno
SBCC

>>> Phyllis Boatman <[log in to unmask]> - 7/30/97 4:53 PM >>>
Help!  I've just found out that I will be teaching one of our
developmental
reading classes this fall.  We're splitting our one reading class
into two,
with Reading I focusing on students reading up to the 10th grade
level and
Reading II covering students reading at 10th through 13th grade. (I
don't
even know yet which class I'll be teaching--but hey, ain't that what
makes
teaching fun?!) My problem is that we don't have a textbook for
either
class; up to now we've taught our one reading class with
computerized,
self-paced lessons in the developmetal lab. I'd dearly appreciate
suggestions for textbooks for each of these classes--the quicker, the
better.  Feel free to email me privately or post your suggestions to
the
list.  Thanks!

Phyllis Boatman
Developmental Writing (and soon-to-be Reading) Instructor
SAU Tech
Camden, AR