Santa Barbara recently received an FII Grant on Student Preparedness,
and I am on the "Assessment Team," whose task is to see what
instruments other community colleges are using in addition to how
departments use the scores for placement and for support services.
SBCC is interested particularly in "Affective" types of assessment.
We have in place a college-wide assessment in reading, writing, and
math for placement, and our assessment has worked relatively well for
the purposes the assessment was intended.

We have also established some Learning Communities and linked courses
(reading and writing with Personal Development; reading and writing
with a GE course).

Thanks in advance.  Please respond privately at my e-mail address so
as not to "clog up" the listserv.

Elida Moreno
Essential Skills Department
Santa Barbara City College