I can commiserate as my father dislikes the fact that I am severely
disabled and therefore thinks going to college for me was a waste. I
too am a professor and when anyone "compliments" me he gets pissed.
At my grandfather's funeral my husband told my father about me going
for my second masters and doctorate and instead of pride my father
showed disgust, he hates anyone to brag about me and obviously he
NEVER does, In his eyes, it does not matter that I am a college
professor, to him I am a LOSER!

Prof Lavorata

> It is interesting how parents can be very proud of their children for
> going on to college, and yet not have a clear idea of what that means or
> what to do with it.
>
> My parents, while very proud that all their children have college degrees,
> respond to questions about my whereabouts in what I consider a unique
> fashion:  they sort of shake their heads and say, "Well, she's still at
> Oregon State."  Since most of my parents' friends know I started as an
> undergrad at Oregon State in (gasp!) 1974 (!), they mostly just sigh and
> commiserate with my parents for having what is obviously a very s-l-o-w
> learner! Of course, my parents aren't about to go on to say that I am a
> professor at OSU!  Heavens no!  That would be going out of their way to
> brag!
>
> Oh well, I just have to remember to look appropriately humble and
> embarassed when visiting people back home.

> Janet Seiko Nishihara                   e-mail: [log in to unmask]
> Academic and Counseling Coordinator     voice:  (503) 737-3928
>
> Educational Opportunities Program
> Oregon State University
> Corvallis, Oregon   97331-6406

Sue Lorraine Lavorata