On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Sue Lorraine Lavorata wrote:

> I can commiserate as my father dislikes the fact that I am severely
> disabled and therefore thinks going to college for me was a waste. I
> too am a professor and when anyone "compliments" me he gets pissed.
> At my grandfather's funeral my husband told my father about me going
> for my second masters and doctorate and instead of pride my father
> showed disgust, he hates anyone to brag about me and obviously he
> NEVER does, In his eyes, it does not matter that I am a college
> professor, to him I am a LOSER!
>
> Prof Lavorata

Probably he's just pissed at being proved WRONG! Whatever he thinks about
you, what *you* think about you is much more important, anyway, as I'm
sure you already know.

I'd be interested to hear your ideas about the purpose and value of
education. Why, for instance, did you choose to further your education and
seek higher degrees? If it was for the intrinsic value of education as an
end in itself (and I'm not suggesting that this *must* be the case!) then
why did you choose formal rather than informal study?

Thanks in advance, and please feel free to ignore these questions if
they're too nosey.

Kwantlen University College,                "Talk
PO Box 9030                                    doesn't
Surrey, BC, Canada                                cook rice," they say.
Tel: (604) 599-2964 Voice mail 9837.......................................