Nancy -

We also pay tutors minimum wage here at Feather River College in
Plumas county, CA.  Our tutors are all peer tutors.   Before minimum
wage increases, first-year tutors were paid $4.50/hour and tutors
beginning their second year of tutoring received a 50-cent raise.  Now
minimum wage is $5/hour here,  and student worker policy was written
so that $5 was the max student wage.   So everyone makes the same
wage.  I think this situation has produced more discontent than the fact
that they are paid minimum.  Like southwestern NM, here in far
northeastern CA, jobs are scarce, so I think students are happy just to
have any job.

Now if I can just keep them from finding out about those tutor salaries
elsewhere......

Pamela Thompson
Tutor coordinator/instructional assistant
Feather River College