I recently used Martha Maxwell's "Improving Student Learning Skills" (1997)
and "From Access to Success" (1994) for a research article I submitted to a
NADE monograph publication that will come out next year. The article is
entitled "Establishing Personal Management Training in Developmental
Education and First Year Programs."

The 44 articles in "From Access to Success" were a big help to me. Several
articles provided me with a historical overview of developmental education.
Others discussed what skills our current students need to be successful
learners. Several articles also identified the most successful
developmental programs that currently exist throughout the country.  The
diversity of the articles provides a comprehensive overview of what's hot,
what's not, and what we need to start doing in the future for our students.

"Improving Student Learning Skills" (which is an update from Martha's
edition fifteen years earlier) provides a sophisticated, extensive account
of what skills our students need to develop and how we can go about
facilitating such development.

Hey, there's a lot of stuff out there that people are trying to sell us.
But for anyone who wants to devote some time to professional reading to
develop their understanding of developmental education, and for anyone who
wants to be able to justify the need for more extensive developmental
education within their own institutions, I highly recommend these books.

Bob Nelson

Bob Nelson, Ed.D
Learning Resource Center (Livingston Campus)
Rutgers University
908/445-0987

Check out our web page: http://lrc.rutgers.edu