Mike,

Here at Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute, we do not have a
formal contract which tutors sign; however, we have professional tutors
rather than peer tutors.  Therefore, most of us already have a sense of
dos and don'ts.  Recently, though, several of our tutoring centers merged
under the umbrella of Assistance Centers for Education.  Last week we had
a meeting of English tutors and instructional technicians (semantics rears
its ugly head again!) to discuss setting up firmer guidelines.  What we
came up with was so successful that we decided to share it with the math,
science, and vocational tutors and invite their feedback for improvements.

I'm including what we have so far, but please bear in mind that this is a
work in progress.  When we get the final draft I will post it to the list.
Our plans for this document include making a poster for the walls of the
various centers, including it with our orientation packets to new
students, and putting it on our ACE brochure.

Here goes:

WHAT STUDENTS DO:

1.  Students know what their assignments are.
2.  Students do their homework (including readings) prior to the tutoring
    sessions.
3.  Students bring their syllabus, printed assignment sheets, textbooks,
    paper, pens/pencils, and computer disks to tutoring sessions.
4.  Students ask questions about terms and concepts they do not
    understand.
5.  Students take responsibility for correcting their own work.
6.  Students are receptive to instruction that helps them fill in the gaps
    in their knowledge.
7.  Students, not tutors, write the corrections on their papers.
8.  Students will not expect tutors to act as resources for information or
    materials they need to research on their own using the library.
    (This one was prompted by a student who wanted a tutor to recap for
    her the entire Civil War so she wouldn't have to go to the library!
    REALLY!)
9.  Students will respect the tutor's request that students do work
    independently.  (We have actually told students which key to push on
    the computer, only to have them wait until the tutor sat beside them
    watching to be sure they did it "right"!)

WHAT TUTORS DO:

1.  Tutors treat all students with courtesy, respect, and diplomacy.
2.  Tutors read student work, identify patterns of error in that work, and
    communicate those patterns to the student.
3.  Tutors show students how to identify patterns of error in their own
    work.
4.  Tutors make students aware of gaps in their knowledge of the subject
    area in which they are being tutored.
5.  Tutors guide students to self-correction.
6.  Tutors are aware of which gaps in student knowledge they can and
    cannot address in any given tutoring session.
7.  Tutors will foster independent thinking by requiring students to do a
    dignificant amount of work during the tutoring session.

Hope this helps,

Peggy Keller
Lead Learning Assistant for English
Assistance Centers for Education
Department of Adult and Developmental Education
525 Buena Vista SE
Albuquerque, NM  87106