Dear LRNASSTers,

The following message and the broadcast which it describes will be of
interest to all of us as we attempt to guarantee access to appropriate
learning environments and activities to our students.

Personnally, I am concerned about the visual complexity of some of the
websites being touted by instructors and the difficulty these sites pose
for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.  I'm hoping this
broadcast will clarify what I/we can do to eliminate the "artificial access
barriers" which some web pages present.

My problem now:  find someone on campus with 'realaudio' on their computer.

Karen

>Sender: Disabled Student Services in Higher Education
>From: Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Internet Cheetahcast on Designing a Friendly Web
>
>Cheetahcast internet broadcast technology will be used to deliver an
>hour's workshop on designing web pages for universal access.
>
>Wednesday, August 6 at 9 am central daylight time from the 13th distance
>education conference in Madison, Wisconsin. This Cheetahcast will
>combine audio, text captioning and graphics to make a presentation
>itself accessible to participants with different learning styles and
>different disabilities.
>
>Richard Banks and Norman Coombs from EASI (Equal Access to Software and
>Information) an affiliate of the American Association for Higher
>Education will walk participants through a series of web pages pointing
>out common features that create artificial access barriers for some web
>users and will demonstrate some of the simple techniques that permits
>the design of web pages that are visually attractive and also barrier-
>free.
>
>To join the Cheetahcast, you will need a recent version of Explorer or
>Netscape, and to hear the audio, you will need realaudio.  For more
>information or to participate on August 6, point your browser at
>www.rit.edu/~easi/webcast.html
>

>EASI realizes that this broadcast is not available to all by requiring hardware
>and software produced in the last 4-5 years.  We are experimenting with
>tomorrow
>'s technologies in order to help influence their design so they will be
>accessib
>le when the
>average computer can handle.  It is a pilot project.

Karen G. Smith
Rutgers University's Learning Resource Centers
<http://lrc.rutgers.edu>