Thank you, Lonna, for the point about different reading speeds for
different purposes.  The real point about metacognitive reading,
which I almost forgot in my identification with the slow readers,
is to be able to choose your approach based on your purpose for
reading.  A frequent problem with developmental readers is that they
haven't thought enough about their purpose or what is the best way
to accomplish it.  There is also a temptation for all of us to
think in terms of one method that is a cure-all for all reading
problems.

Or perhaps the idea of speed reading is appealing to
students who don't enjoy it and want to get it over with as fast
as possible?  One of my hardest tasks teaching reading has been
trying to get students to read a passage again to see deeper levels of
meaning that they didn't see the first time around, something good readers
do routinely.

Annette Gourgey