          We tell students each fall when we hire (and re-hire) that
          they must be available during one of a certain number of
          hours each week--e.g., 3 or 4:00 on Thurs or Friday.  Then
          we expect tutors to come to meetings at the time they have
          indicated they are available.  We meet weekly or bweekly for
          the first six weeks or so, depending on the level of
          experience.  Then the meetings are less frequent--once a
          month, maybe.  This means that early in the semester we have
          to have quite a few meetings each week with the same agenda,
          but that's how we do most of our training.  The groups are
          smaller and more manageable, too.  We tell tutors that they
          are required to attend these meetings or they may not be
          rehired....this kind of system will "encourage"
          most people, because if they miss their preferred time, they
          will have to come to one that is less convenient.  Usually
          new tutors like to come to meetings anyway, and if you can
          get the "old" and jaded ones to play a leadership role in
          the meetings, they usually don't mind, either.  We also pay
          them to attend.

          Priscilla Fortier
          Academic Services, OMSA
          University of Illinois-Urbana