We, too, have problems finding times when everyone can attend meetings and
trainings.  Ours is a two-year commuter school, and most students work
20-30 hours a week so they don't hang around campus when not in class.

Last year we experimented with "virtual" meetings on a dedicated web-based
chat board.  It worked OK when we remembered to use it.  (takes some
getting used to).  We chose web-based because not every student has access
to e-mail, but anyone can  get to the school's website from computers in
the Learning Resource Center, computer lab, or even a public library off
campus.  (Indeed, from anywhere in the world).  The difficulty getting
everyone in the same place at the same time is one reason we developed
Tutor Tutor for our tutor training.

In our experience, virtual is not better than live.  It's just better than
nothing and a lot of frustration.

Eric Golanty
Las Positas College
Tutor Tutor:  http://www.webcom.com/ergo/tutor