I would like to add a comment about reading speed and testing.
As an adult, I was told I had a reading rate in the 200's, but
as a child I almost always finished reading tests with time to
check over my work.  Since my grade equivalent scores were very
high no one barred me from any accelerated study groups.  My point
is that *reading* rate is not necessarily the same as *processing*
rate when one takes a test.  I was aware of specific strategies
for test taking and time management.  One of the arguments I had
with faculty about speeded testing when I worked as a testing
researcher was that reading rate may not be the crucial factor
in testing:  the students may be spending inordinate amounts of
time trying to figure out the answers to the multiple choice
questions, which is a matter of test taking and reasoning rather than
reading rate per se.  When we work with these issues with our students, we
have to be aware of the whole complex picture.

Annette Gourgey