At 01:40 PM 8/2/97 -0700, Lonna Smith wrote:

>BTW, I don't believe that student #1 needs any help.  If s/he speaks and
>writes SWE, why is it necessary to be able to identify all the names of
>tenses?  After all, the only reason to learn all the names is to be able
>to discuss them.  Unless s/he is studying for a degree that requires
>discussion of tenses, why is it so important to know them?  If it ain't
>broken...

So the student would be able to interpret the teacher's corrections and
suggestions for improvement -i.e., passive voice, agreement of subject and
verb, usage of conditional, etc.- noted on the paper/assignment. Though
concrete examples can be illustrative, often being aware of the overall
rules makes it easier to generalize it and apply/transfer that knowledge to
future situations.
On the other hand, your message shows that you are an excellent teacher with
a great understanding of all students, including ESL.

Keep up the good work!

Catalina Colaci   <[log in to unmask]>
Coord.Learning Assistance Centre &
Support Services to Students with Disabilities
Yukon College
Whitehorse, Yukon   CANADA