Martha Maxwell wrote:

Would that administrators would read research once in awhile -  then we
wouldn't be using speeded tests like the Nelson-Denny that encourage
superficieal reading and guessing  on archaic vocabulary and convoluted
prose ostensibly covering literature and/or  the classics--content
that's not appropriate for freshmen much less to determine the fate of
develomental students -( well, the ND is cheap, easy to administer and
reflects change -  the latter is easy, ... all you have to do is ask
your students to read faster, they'll get higher scores!)

------

Amen!!!  It seems that too many place the ease of testing and scoring
over the validity of the test.  (The last place where I had to use the
N-D, I gave Martha's advice and also told students to watch the clock.
When 30 seconds were left, I advised them to bubble in the unanswered
questions by choosing a letter and bubbling in the letter all the way
down the list.  Students' posttest scores were often 3 grade levels
above pretest scores - in a 15 week semester!)