> Don Garnett wrote,

I guess I remember my Grandfather, recently deceased, always was trying
to get his kids and grandkids to go to college and graduate.  He was
always dissapointed when one of us would drop out of school.  My cousin
Bret specifically comes to mind.   He tried three different colleges,
and never made it.  My Grandfather was worried that Bret would cut
firewood for the rest of his life and gave him hell over it.  My
Grandfather honestly believed that though you could make a living out of
hard work, you wouldn't have much of a future.  Bret is doing fine
working in the lumber buisness, making as much with his hard work and
experience as I do with my M.A..  As for my Grandfather, he had never
finished the sixth grade.  So although I can see that some parents or
grandparents may have the view that "schoolin" is all fine and dandy,
but wonder when their kid is going to get a real job.  I also see many
more that see education as a way of building a future.