I belong to the NIFL list server and Eve Robins from the National Adult
Literacy and Learning Disabilities Center ([log in to unmask]) recently
posted this to the list:

"The New Republic magazine has published a provocative article on
learning disabilities in its August edition. You can find the piece on
the web at:
        http://www.enews.com/magazines/tnr/

The title of the article is "Defining Disability Down" by Ruth Shalit."

Although the article is long I would encourage anyone who works with
students who have learning disabilities to read it.  Reference is made a
number of times to the Boston U case currently awaiting judgement.  This
article is bound to cause a great deal of controversy (and probably some
backlash).

**I've also posted this message to the DSHHE list so I apologize for the
duplication to any of you who belong to that list as well**