We also get funds from Carl Perkins Grant and some W/S money for
qualified peer tutors. There is a great deal of support for our Learning
Assistance Center throughout the campus and administration. Serving
about 500 students each year, we are staffed with three full-timers (all
at 36 hours/week) - one coodinator (me, who also provides direct
service), another instructor (both of us under FT faculty contracts),
and the third is a "professional tutor" ($15+/hr). We all provide
tutoring to individuals and small groups in each of the following areas:
chemistry, composition, literature, physics, biology, basic math through
calculus and statistics, accounting, and computer applications.

We are fortunate in that we all have background in science/math and
writing/lit backgrounds (and are all computer geeks as well) and are
life-long learners. We are generalists, each with a certain specialty,
and we have each taken a number of the above courses as refreshers to
our own undergrad experience.

I can not imagine paying someone any less to do what is needed and
expected in our LAC.