A long time ago, at a community college, I taught a course (not a
developmental level) called "Speed and Critical Reading," an oxymoron to
say the least!  Needless to say, I split the course in two and spent
most of my time on the critical reading part.

Cheryl and Annette's points are valid.  However, when I taught the
course at night, I had many professionals who wanted strategies for
getting through mountains of reading material at work.  Getting the gist
of the material was more important than terrific comprehension.  I felt
justified in teaching speed reading strategies to help them.

In my opinion, Developmental students (all students, for that matter)
need to understand the relationship between speed and comprehension.  If
they are able to vary their reading speed to the reading task, they will
benefit.  For many this means learning to slow down when reading for
study reading.  Speed reading is not appropriate for most kinds of
reading tasks.  I wouldn't be in favor of teaching it to developmental
students.

Lonna Smith