I have the same problem with my tutors, even at the first meeting.
Pizza is always a good draw, and I pay them.  It still is a problem.  If
you have many tutors, you might offer two times for the short meetings,
and make those mandatory.  If they don't make both, then maybe have it
affect their merrit raises or the number of hours they get, or who gets
first choice of hours.  Personally I do not engage in any sort of
punishment to my employees.  Since I don't really pay much, I must
partially depend on my rep. as someone good to work for.

Let me know if you discover something that works.