After reading Andy Freeman's post, where he stated that, "I feel that DS
students would benefit from speed reading techniques as much as the next
student - provided the concepts of individual goals and "faster", not
"fast", are kept in mind, I'd like to modify my earlier statement that
speed reading is not appropriate for DS students.  If you are talking
about reading at 500 wpm, I'm still against it, but students who read
word by word, who don't chunk words into meaningful phrases, who read so
slowly they forget information found at the beginning of the paragraph
(or sentence)by the time they get to the end, who cannot get through
their reading assignments because it takes them more time than could
ever be considered reasonable, and who hate to read because it takes
them so long, need strategies to speed up their reading.

I am NOT talking about people like Walt and Annette who may read slower
than their peers but most likely read much faster than 100 wpm.  Walt,
Annette, and others like them do not suffer from a lack of comprehension
due to their reading speed.  They may prefer reading slowly in order to
enjoy the interplay of words, to have the luxury of mulling over ideas
as they are presented, or simply to keep reading relaxed.

We shouldn't confuse the Walts and Annettes with those who take ten
minutes to read a page of relatively simple text.

Lonna Smith