Dear Walt:

What the problem is there is no definition of what is speed reading.
Twenty years ago people claimed to teach students to read 20,000 wpm.
There were courses all over the country.  Reading rate improvement would
be a better label.

What I said is it is impossible to read more that 800 to 900 wpm.  A
good reader changes his or her reading speed according to their purpose.
A poor reader reads everything at the same slow rate.  I would suggest
you study human information processing and learn how a slow reader will
lose information from their short-term memory if they they do not
acquire it in a certain period of time.

Today, there is so much information to be learned not only in one's
field but also in technology, a person must be able to acquire
information quickly.  Listening will only being in information at 100
wpm.  A good reader will read around 400 to 500 wpm.

What M. Maxwell does not seem to know is that reading tests for colleges
and industry have a time limit.  The person who can answer the most
questions in the shortest time gets the job.  Today, companies require
people who apply for a job, that has nothing to do with reading and
math, to take reading and math tests.  The person who can answer the
most questions in the shortest time gets the job.

You can easy determine what rate you need to read.

Rate = Amount of required reading/Time

Walt are you blooming?