Gary Probst wrote:

When taking an entrance test for graduate school, I was required to take
a reading test and a mathematics test.

I found the math test very easy because I was teaching mathematics
courses at the community college.  I finished before the time limit much
to the surprise of the people administering the test.   Then, when
taking the reading test, I first read the questions and then scanned for
the answers. I never read a passage!  I finished in less that half of
the time limit.  I also teach developmental reading and was practicing
what I preach.  Always have a purpose for reading.

I was called up to the desk at the front of the room and asked if the
test was too difficult for me because I was unable to complete the
test.  I told them I was a genius and the test did not measure my real
ability.  One of the people quickly graded the reading test.  He was
surprised I made 100 percent. I told him I also score 100 percent on the
math test. Unfortunately, I never had an experience like this again in
my college work or life.  After taking the comps for my doctor's degree,
it took me a week to recover!

When taking a reading test, I teach student to first reading the
question and then scan for the answer. What most people do is to read
the passage, then read the question, and then scan for the answer.  The
time spent reading the passage is a waste for locating the answer to
most reading tests.  A good question is, "Does a reading test measure
reading?"