Jon,

What you wrote makes sense to me.  I'm especially interested in your
statement, "I do think, however, that the majority of those I identify
as ESL students need (and want) a different kind of instruction from
monodialectal native speakers."

Your statement makes infinate sense for beginning and intermediate ESL
instruction but I'm curious as to how instruction would be different for
advanced ESL students than for monodialectical developmental students. I
welcome your comments.

Lonna Smith

p.s.  Your quote of the "grammer" instructor reminds me of the note sent
home by a 4th grade teacher.  It said, "Please go over your child's
corrected spelling test and make certain he/she corrects any mispelled
words."