Gary Probst wrote:

Here is something to think about.  What I show students is the
relationship between reading speed and concentration.

wpm = words per minute

 (thinking wpm) - (reading wpm) = (wpm the mind can wander)
      600 - 150 = 450
      600 - 250 = 350
      600 - 400 = 200
      600 - 600 = 0

When you are reading and find your eyes moving across the lines of
print, but the information is not going into your mind, the problem
could be you are reading very slowly. (less than 100 wpm)  Speed up your
reading and you will find you can now concentrate on what you are
reading.  As the above chart shows, it is difficult to concentrate when
you are reading speed is way below your thinking speed.  You can control
you reading speed.  However, it is not possible to control your thinking
speed.  You mind runs at differents speed depending upon what you are
doing and what is happening in your environment.

Have you noticed how many book the President "claims" to have read so
far on his vacation.  Because of all of the information he is required
to know, he must receive this information through reading.  Listening
only brings information in at 100-125 wpm.  Bill must read at a rapid
rate.

When you think, you are speaking to yourself. Reading is speaking
silently to yourself.  You can think faster than you can pronounce
words.