Dear LRNASSTERs,

I am faculty sponsor of a group on a two-year campus called the Student
Mentor Association. SMA is a fairly new organization, but continues to grow.
Their mission is to help foster a campus environment and assist the students
to feel a part of the college.
They are currently in the process of setting up informal study groups in
various subject areas, including history, science, and perhaps English.
Their intent with the study groups, however, is not to tutor, but to utilize
peer tutoring.  Currently, the only real tutoring available for students
consists of only the various levels of math.

Can anyone provide me with some pointers to this process?  Does anyone know
of resources online that would help guide and assist this group as they set
up these new study groupings?   Also, what would be the ideal set-up - that
is, should there be two student mentors per five students needing
assistance, for example?  Although I have some ideas on this, am very new to
all the lingo to do with SI, etc.  Please advise.  Thanks so much.

Lisa Armstrong
Pulaski Technical College
3000 West Scenic Drive
North Little Rock, AR  72118