Hi Listers,

We at Miami Hamilton offer three levels of reading classes and placement is
determined by Compass. Currently, we have mandatory assessment, but not
mandatory placement. A students is placed into College Reading I if she
scores between 0-60. College Reading II, 61-75, and English 151, which is
freshman-level, is 76-80. If a student scores 81-100, he can elect to take
English 151 which is taught as a critical thinking course. I know, the
76-80 is splitting hairs, but the cut-offs are very good for this campus.
Some students near 80 are reading ok, but have little knowledge of textbook
reading, so we work on some strategies for that. Each semester, I asked
students in my sections to write what they what from this class, so most
needs can be met. Overall, I am very pleased with our cut-offs, but plan on
yearly review to ensure they are accurate.

Katy