As a business professor, I will say that what you state is well said.
Marketing is inherent in education as in any other business and
education is YES A BUSINESS!. We are selling products (teaching,
learning and research) and in order to increase our student body, we
must use the promotional mix of advertising, personal selling,
publicity, public relations and sales promotion. People are people,
it does not matter what field they are in. We sell in the same manner
as a computer salesperson sells PCs. I am glad you brought this up.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Prof Neal Steiger.

Prof Lavorata

> I am concerned that I may be hearing what appears to be an
> anti-businessperson bias in education.  My own experience in the "real
> world" leads me to believe that businesspeople as a whole are no less
> ethical than, let's say, educators.
>
> The people whom our colleges send out to recruit our students are, in
> effect, sales reps.  Do your know what promises the recruiters make about
> your college?  Are your faculty delivering those promises?  How many of our
> educations come with guarantees of their effectiveness?
>                                 Neal Steiger
>                       NH Community Technical College
>                         379 New Prescott Hill Road
>                             Laconia NH  03246
>                 phone:  603-524-3207   fax: 603-524-8084
>           "Even a planarian worm can learn."  --Eunice Cornish

Sue Lorraine Lavorata
E-MAIL:  [log in to unmask]