Yes, I agree in the tutoring or teaching field, you would not hire
one with a C-, but in the business world, it means nothing. In the
business world the important things are
speed/accuracy/judgment/problem solving skills and various
physical/motor skills to perform basic office functions. Obviously
those with neurological disabilities, regardless of how great their
grades were cannot perform such work. So much for GPA predicting work
success ina field outside of education. GPA only measures as you
said, how well the student met the criteria. It alsoProf L

> In Mathematics at least, I believer there is very little difference in
> academic performance between an A student and a B student, or even a D
> student and a failing student.  As far as academic success in the next
> math course in a sequence, there is huge difference in the success rate
> between  D students and  B students.
>
> What I believe a grade says or should say about a student is simple.
> How well did that student meet the criteria I set out at the beginning
> and during the semester?  As an employer, I have criterial that I want
> my tutors to meet when they work.  I initial judge that tutor by their
> transcript which states how well they met criteria that was placed
> before them in the past.  Would you hire a tutor that had a C- average?
> If I ever become an employer that hires recent college graduates, a
> large factor I will consider is GPA.  How many of you wouldn't?
>
> Craig Andres
> Kettering University
>
> Neal Steiger wrote:
>
> > >     A student's academic performance can be reasonably measured by a
> >
> > >     cumulative GPA.
> >
> > We tend to take that as a given, yet I still wonder what the evidence
> > is
> > there for even that assumption, or what "academic performance" means.
> >                                 Neal Steiger
> >                       NH Community Technical College
> >                         379 New Prescott Hill Road
> >                             Laconia NH  03246
> >                 phone:  603-524-3207   fax: 603-524-8084
> >           "Even a planarian worm can learn."  --Eunice Cornish

Sue Lorraine Lavorata
E-MAIL:  [log in to unmask]