You are correct that you would not wish to hire a teacher or a tutor
with a C-, but in the business world it means nothing. In the
business world, what matters is that one has good judgment/problem
solving skills, good perceptual skills, good motor/physical skills to
perform basic office functions and speed and accuracy. Obviously
peoplke with neurological disabilities, regardless of how high their
GPA was, cannot perform such tasks. So much for the correlation of
GPA and emplyment success. As you said, all GPA measures is how well
the student performed in that class. It also can be reflective of the
student's intellectual/academic skills and acumen, not too important
in the business world.

Prof L

> In Mathematics at least, I believer there is very little difference in
> academic performance between an A student and a B student, or even a D
> student and a failing student.  As far as academic success in the next
> math course in a sequence, there is huge difference in the success rate
> between  D students and  B students.
>
> What I believe a grade says or should say about a student is simple.
> How well did that student meet the criteria I set out at the beginning
> and during the semester?  As an employer, I have criterial that I want
> my tutors to meet when they work.  I initial judge that tutor by their
> transcript which states how well they met criteria that was placed
> before them in the past.  Would you hire a tutor that had a C- average?
> If I ever become an employer that hires recent college graduates, a
> large factor I will consider is GPA.  How many of you wouldn't?
>
> Craig Andres
> Kettering University
>
> Neal Steiger wrote:
>
> > >     A student's academic performance can be reasonably measured by a
> >
> > >     cumulative GPA.
> >
> > We tend to take that as a given, yet I still wonder what the evidence
> > is
> > there for even that assumption, or what "academic performance" means.
> >                                 Neal Steiger
> >                       NH Community Technical College
> >                         379 New Prescott Hill Road
> >                             Laconia NH  03246
> >                 phone:  603-524-3207   fax: 603-524-8084
> >           "Even a planarian worm can learn."  --Eunice Cornish

Sue Lorraine Lavorata
E-MAIL:  [log in to unmask]