As a college professor, I feel that the first claim is right. Many
students come to college and cannot write a correct sentence, cannot
spell, cannot synthesize their thoughts or perform basic research
skills. I am not referring to foreign born students where English is
their second language, I am referring to Native born students whom
English is their primary or only language. They are not taught basic
grammar because in high school English, they are only told to read a
book and get tested, there is no practice in grammar and they are not
taught the basics of how to present an argument in a paper. Prof L

> *  DESPITE EFFORTS to raise academic standards in public
>    schools, most high-school graduates lack the skills they need
>    to succeed in the work force or in college, professors and
>    employers say in a new report. But schoolteachers, students,
>    and parents believe the graduates are well prepared for work
>    or college.
>
> This should appear in an upcoming Chron of Higher education

Sue Lorraine Lavorata
E-MAIL:  [log in to unmask]