As a marketing professor, I thought your comments were very
insightfuland I understand why you used marketing as an example. You
also know that it is no easy field of study as during my
undergraduate, I had to endure alot of math and statistics and
quantitative courses in marketing. The only reason why in the
coursework, sometimes marketing is viewed as exploitive is because
when disabled professors like myself try to discuss marketing
products accessible and usable by people with disabilities, some
students get uncomfortable with the topic and shy away from it,
therefore such ethical and socially responsble topics are discouraged
in marketing curricula.

To answer the GPA question, a GPA is important in measuring
intellectual and academic skills and how well a student met the
requirements of his/her academic courses, but should not be used in
predicting future success in the business world.

Just my 3 cents (too long for only 2 cents)

Prof Lavorata

>      I just wanted to apologize to anyone who was offended by the reference
>      to marketing in my comments.  I chose marketing in my example because
>      many marketing students take positions in sales.  I chose to use a
>      salesman (or person) because I know of a few who have accumulated
>      great wealth by manipulating and exploiting people.  I only spoke from
>      experience.  And yes, those corrupt people whom I know majored in
>      marketing and skimmed through college to get their degrees.
>
>      I do not believe that marketing is an easy field of study.  It is both
>      complex and interesting, in my opinion. I am not biased against
>      business.  Most of my friends and family are "businesspeople", and I
>      love them.  I do feel that people can find more opportunities to
>      corrupt, manipulate, and exploit other people in business.  Any
>      environment in which vast amounts of money change hands produces such
>      evils, in my opinion.
>
>      Lastly, if a GPA doesn't measure a student's academic performance, or
>      the average of how well a student does throughout his or her college
>      career, what does it measure?  Does it measure how poorly his or her
>      professors are performing?  Does it measure how well parents are
>      raising their children?  Does it measure society?  I suppose a GPA
>      could measure all of these things.  But,if I put all of my efforts
>      into a class, learned everything the professor tried to teach me,
>      wrote the correct answers on the tests and homework, completed all of
>      my projects correctly and did everything else that was required on the
>      syllabus, and earned an "A", then yes, my grade reflected my academic
>      performance.  If I did that in every class for four years and I had
>      earned a 4.0, then yes, my GPA would measure my academic performance.
>
>      So, Mr. Steiger, what do you think?  What does all of this mean to
>      you?

Sue Lorraine Lavorata
E-MAIL:  [log in to unmask]