With Louis Schmier's permission, I am with pleasure forwarding his request
for narratives of those experiences that have made teaching really
worthwhile . . .  Forward flames to me personally, the rest to the
publisher (Susan Ferris-Heidt) below . . .  and yes, this is not a hoax . .
. (geez! what a year I've had, that I feel I have to say that!) . . .

>Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:29:53 -0500 (EST)
>From: Louis_Schmier <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Celebrations:  A Collection of Your Stories
>

>I have been asked by the editors at Atwood Press of Madison, Wisconsin, to
>put together a group of heartening "heart" stories of those wonderful
>moments of birth and transformation when you wondrously touched or were
>touched by a student, when you took that extra step and stepped outside
>yourself to reach out to a student, when you inspired a student and
>changed the course of a life and altered the future, when you left behind
>tracks on some student's soul.
>
>I will called this collection, CELEBRATION.  For that is it's purpose: to
>celebrate our sacred mission as teachers.
>
>I personally like the idea of this collection because we live our stories.
>We learn most from stories.  When you feel alone, you can find community
>in stories; when you weaken, you can find strength; when you are
>disheartened, you can find resolve; when you are down, you can be lifted;
>when you feel pain, you can find comfort;  when you question, you can find
>inspiration; when you tire, you can find new energy; when you wonder why,
>you can find inspiration.
>
>These stories will tell people why we believe in each student, why we
>believe each student is a human treasure, why we believe in each student's
>potential, why we believe in the nobility of teaching.  They tell people
>of our legacy, when we made a difference, when people knew we were here,
>when we made the world a better place for having been here.
>
>Each of you have riches of wisdom and belief and experience that can speak
>to us and can show us the way.  Share the pearls and gems from the
>treasure chest of your stories; offer them as joyful and fulfilling
>vitamins: from your heart give us heart; nourish our spirit with the
>fruits of yours; soothe our souls with the salve of yours; lighten us up
>with the brightness of your stories; touch us as you touched others and
>were touched by them.
>
>Please enrich us.  Take a moment to share with us a moment of gift giving
>and receiving. Celebrate your story like a joyful child who found
>something yelling, "Momma, momma, look what I found."
>
>Please send your story by mail to:
>
>                       Susan Ferris-Heidt
>                       Atwood Press
>                       1114 Catalpa Circle
>                       Madison, Wis  53713
>
>Or, e-mail your story to:

>Or, fax your story to:
>
>                       Susan Ferris-Heidt
>                        608-242-1702
>

>Make it a good day.
>
>                                                       --Louis--
>

>Louis Schmier                     [log in to unmask]
>Department of History             http://www.halcyon.com/arborhts/louis.html
>Valdosta State University
>Valdosta, GA  31698                        /~\    /\ /\
>912-333-5947                       /^\    /   \  /  /~ \     /~\__/\
> [...]

                                Neal Steiger
                      NH Community Technical College
                        379 New Prescott Hill Road
                            Laconia NH  03246
                phone:  603-524-3207   fax: 603-524-8084
          "Even a planarian worm can learn."  --Eunice Cornish