For what it's worth--Here at Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute,
we have a computer support staff which is hired to repair our computers,
install software, set up networks and troubleshoot problems.  However,
each of us who work with students--tutoring Math or English and Reading--
is expected to be familiar enough with computer operations to instruct
students on how to use the computers and software that are available.  We
are also expected to do some minor troubleshooting--extract disks from the
drive when they don't want to come out, fix erroneous paper feeds (when
the printer goes crazy and spits out garbage or reams of blank paper!),
and etc.

When we are considering new software, demos are usually available for a
week or two.  Faculty and staff can provide input about whether or not to
adopt a program or not.  Recommendations for support staff, new equipment
and software go to each department's Technology Advisory Board, a group
composed of administrators, faculty, and staff.

As for accessing the help of the technical staff, we call, they come!  We
have both office and pager numbers for our computer support staff, and
they do a terrific job!  The cost of repairs, I believe, is part of each
department's budget.  Computer support is its own department with its own
budget for staff.

Hope this helps,

Peggy Keller
English Instructional Technician
Assistance Centers for Education
Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute
525 Buena Vista SE
Albuquerque, NM  87106