Alexander Astin  annual national survey of incoming freshmen students is
published in this week's Chronicle of Higher Education.

Among the vast variety of data, there is one particular question I like to
follow from year to year.  It deals with hours a week spent on various
activities during the past year.  One item among the list is "studying or
doing homework".  This year, 33.9% of over 252,000 students reported they
spent 6 or more hours a week studying.  This means, 66% spent less than 6
hours per week studying (most likely as seniors in high school for
traditional incoming freshmen).

According to the Chronicle, this compares to a response rate of 44%  to
the same item in in 1987, down 10% in ten years. Looks like we have our
work cut out for us in giving freshmen as reality check.

In another item I follow, 40.7 % of students replied that improving
reading and study skills was a very important reason in deciding to go to
college.

Georgine Materniak
Director
University of Pittsburgh