On our campus we have a combination of the two:

1.  Lab aides/tutors are responsible for assistance students with
content and operating the computers.  They also deal with minor
problems--software glitches, corrupted/erased files, anything they
can do, based on their level of expertise (most of them are students
or recent students).  The lab budget pays them.

2.  IS staff are responsible for all hardware/software installation and major
maintenance and repair.  We operate on a wide area network, and most
of our IS people are Novell certified.  They are emplyed by the IS
department.

John P. Mastroni, Director
Learning Assistance Lab
Montgomery County Community College