I've talked to a number of folks who are convinced that the Freshman Year
Experience course (the one credit model) can handle the study strategy
training---along with all the very good things done in these courses.  This
movement continues to mature with many courses for specially defined campus
groups, etc.  Still, I'd like very much to see proof that either content
reading skills or study strategies based upon the limited degree of blind
training delivered in these courses have any transfer value to other
courses.  Referral is fine but it can not replace what goes on in an
adjunct/paired course or an SI session..
Provosts like the fact that any person with a limited degree of training
can deliver a freshman semiar course for little money.  In some places the
stipend is such (if at all) that it is cheaper than hiring PTI's.
Unfortunately this approach to study strategy training leads to a
deskilling/deprofessionalizing of our field (ironically at a time when
there are probably more first rate professionals available to serve than
ever before).

Mind you--I'm not jumping on FYE courses--I've taught them over the past 25
years at four different postsecondary schools (I greatly prefer the three
credit model.).  What I oppose is the thought that FYE classes can handle
postsecondary reading/learning instruction -- particularly when the plate
is so full with other issues.

Well scouts-- got to run my class in comparative reading instruction is
about to begin.  Thanks for letting me vent.  Have a good evening.

Norman A. Stahl, Chair
Department of
Curriculum & Instruction
Northern Illinois University