Thanks Martha Maxwell for your informative response:

>Second- tier universities are all those that are
>NOT  considered "flagship" nor "open-admission."  For example, all of South
>Carolina's four year public institutions have done away with developmental
>courses (or else hidden them deeply somewhere that no one else can find ).
>State universities like some of the four year colleges in  CUNY and SUNY
>and in Ohio and Mass,. etc., have been cutting back remedial programs  and
>the Cal State U.system has  extended the deadline for  doing away with
>remedial programs from the year 2000 to 2005, at my  last reading.

Now I would like to hear from folks from South Carolina, CUNY, SUNY, Ohio,
and Mass.--what kind of changes have occurred and what has the impact been?

Paul Ellis, Director                                    [log in to unmask]
Learning Assistance Program - BP 230                    TEL 606.572.5611
Northern Kentucky University                    FAX 606.572.5566
Highland Heights, KY 41099