When our students at the University of Nebraska have serious complaints
concerning a faculty member, we, of course, first suggest they visit the
department head and the the college Dean.  However, we have another option.  We
have an extremely fine Ombudsperson on campus who does a wonderful job working
with students, faculty and administrators, and we really appreciate her
assistance.

Until five years ago we didn't have an Ombudsperson.  We encouraged students to
lobby for one.  They did so, student senate got involved, followed by Faculty
Senate, and within 18 months the new position was created and filled.  It has
been a real boon for all of us.

Kathy Carpenter, Ph.D.                  Telephone: 308.865.8214 (w)
CRLA President                          Telephone: 308.236.7601 (h)
Director of Learning Center             FAX: 308.865.8157
University of Nebraska at Kearney       e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Kearney, NE  68849