There are a few issues here, there is the issue of having higher
standards in the public schools and that of making teachers and
students both more accountable and have everyone take responsibility
for the problem. Let's stop the leftist attitude of blaming poverty,
society or other "stuff" for the education problems and let's lay the
proble where it is, in the educational system, with teachers, parents
and students. Let's stop all this feel-good self-esteem stuff and
let's get down to brass tack teaching of the basics, grammar, math,
science, problem solving skills etc and give students what they need
to succeed in college, and employment. When I get the students in the
college classes I teach, I get them unable to write a paper or
construct a have decent sentence. I think the students and the
teachers need to both be accountable as does the administration. We
all must share the responsibility. Open admission does have its
problems, standards the issue. I really feel that Guiliani has a
point, maybe he is just a little too extreme, but some modification
of open admission should be an order. Sorry for my strong views, but
this is what I feel would help this inherent problem. Prof L

> Oh, so it's up to the STUDENTS to prepare themselves (on their own??) for
> college! I guess that lets us educators off the hook, huh?
>
> Seriously, this bit of pseudospeak doesn't seem to address the issue of
> "disastrous consequences" of an uneducated populace, does it!  Nor does it
> address the issue of why so many students seem to end up "poorly prepared"
> for college!
>
> We've been dealing with that here, too.  Our English 100 outcome
> expectations are widely different from the Freshman Comp income
> expectation, which leave 100 students who pass feeling competent only to
> find out that they are not when they arrive in Freshman Comp!  AARRGGHH!
>
> I think what we need is a little less buck-passing and name-calling and a
> little bit more let's-fix-the-damn-problem!  (for what it's worth, since I
> am neither a politician nor an instructor, only a lowly tutor!)  Seems to
> me what Mayor Giuliani is advocating is tossing the poor baby (students)
> out with the proverbial bathwater!
>

> Peggy Keller
> English Instructional Technician
> Assistance Centers for Education
> Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute
> 525 Buena Vista SE
> Albuquerque, NM  87106

> On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Norman Stahl wrote:
>
> >  NEW YORK CITY'S Mayor, Rudolph W. Giuliani, on Wednesday
> >    called on the City University of New York to end open
> >    enrollment, saying that the admission of poorly prepared
> >    students had resulted in alarmingly low graduation rates, a
> >    trend with "disastrous consequences" for the city.
> >

> > *********************************
> > Norman A. Stahl, Chair
> > Department of
> > Curriculum & Instruction