Sue, Neal, et al,

Sounds to me like we are in basic agreement that something needs to be
done about the sorry state of education in some areas.  I agree with Neal
that poverty is definitely a factor in poor educational performance, and I
agree with Prof. Lavorata that "self esteem will come with success from
high standards and rewards..."  The problem is that these high standards
and rewards often do not exist in schools where there is a less affluent
tax base.  Here in New Mexico, there seems to be a "some folks (the haves)
are college material, and some folks (the have-nots) are the peons,
servants, vocational/trades material."  This is unfair, sexist, racist
tripe!  Looking back on my upper middle class education in elementary,
middle, and high school, I can say that we got more "accelerated" classes
than folks in less affluent neighborhoods.  We got the "best" teachers,
the "best" facilities and equipment, and the "best" resources.  It was a
shock moving from Albuquerque to Los Lunas, and discovering that some of
the kids there had to share textbooks.  In one case the teacher tore the
textbooks in two in order to insure that all students had a piece of the
book!  This meant that the teacher had to teach two different classes--
one on the first half of the book, and one on the second half!  I thought
this was pretty resourceful of the teacher, but the instructor should have
had enough materials for the entire class!

I'm rambling, but my point is that if we taught in inner-city schools as
we do in yuppie schools, the students WOULD develop self-esteem, college
preparatory skills, and "the basics."  This has been shown to be true over
and over again when truly dedicated teachers work with inner city
populations.  Attention, respect, and confidence in students' abilities
increases motivation, retention, attendance, self-esteem and success.

If we have to place the blame, let's place it squarely on the folks who
feel that "people should be kept in their place."  Far as I'm concerned,
this is the politicians who "talk" educational improvements and
importance, but consistently vote against education appropriations.  Vote
the suckers out of office and KEEP voting them out until somebody listens!
Our students are our future!  Let's see that they get the tools they need!

Peggy Keller
English Instructional Technician
Assistance Centers for Education
Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute
525 Buena Vista SE
Albuquerque, NM  87106