I am puzzled by the perception of some of my colleagues.  History is full of stories of
people who succeeded in education in spite of poverty.  I think we are going for a red
herring when we blame poverty for poor grades.  Poverty does not cause learners to
choose not do homework, choose not do do reading asignments, choose to
misbehave in class, choose to be disrespectful to teachers, choose not to complete
exercises in class, choose not to attempt to write papers, etc.  It has to be something
else affecting these learners.

What social mechanism has the greatest influence on learners?  There lies the
problem and the object of our remedies.

Dennis Congos

Dennis H. Congos
Learning Skills Lab Facilitator & Certified Supplemental Instruction Trainer
Academic Learning Center
103 Garinger Building
Central Piedmont Community College
Charlotte, NC 28235
704-330-6474
email: [log in to unmask]
NADE Homepage:  http://www.umkc.edu/cad/nade.htm
CAD and SI Homepage:  http://www.umkc.edu/cad/
Learning skills: The only indispensable knowledge in college.
Learning skills:  The tools for doing the job of learning.