Greeting from USMA:
        We are about, in two weeks, to undergo a complete federal
government manpower survey for calendar year 1997.  I am looking for
other institutions that might be pointed to as benchmark institutions in
relation to the programs we offer.  I'd like your input and if you are
an institution in the near vicinity we might like to visit.  I am
looking for programs that offer courses that are not developmental or
remedial.
        Our Center for Enhanced Performance does the following.
        Offers 2 courses:  RS101 Student Success Course --this course
enrolls about 400 freshman cadets in the fall term.  It is primarily a
voluntary course.  The Dean remands 100 freshman he terms academically
at risk to the course.  The course is 20 lessons and covers the normal
study strategies and mental skills strategies such as: effective
thinking, stress management, imagery, goal setting and concentration.
        RS102--Reading Efficiency --this course is ll lessons and
increases reading rate without lose of comprehension.  It uses a reading
lab and reading software besides instructor training in reading
techniques.  This is all voluntary.
        We teach RS101 in the Math 100 class which is for all math at
risk freshman cadets.
        We do an August orientation for all freshman to introduce them
to time management, notetaking and organizational skills.
        We do lots of individual appointments with athletes and such.
        Please reply off line to me at [log in to unmask] or
Thanks for your time.
Betty
Betty Ince            Director, Reading & Study Skills Program
6313 Washington Hall    Center for Enhanced Performance
U. S. Military Academy   West Point, NY 10996
914-938-7815                 fax 914-938-2481