Dennis says <snip>> What social mechanism has the greatest influence on
learners?  There lies the> problem and the object of our remedies.

I'm not sure if Dennis is implying that learning is influenced by a
specific social factor or that social factors play a part in learning.
If we are talking about "the factor" that makes "the difference" in a
learner's success or failure, I would like for someone to tell me.  If
we have this information, we can help all students reach their goals. In
my area (learning assistance center) I find that if a student is
motivated from within (by whatever), he/she will reach a degree of
success.  If that student is working from outside motivators only, we
are doomed. They've got to want to do it!