Dan,

Great questions!  I'll take them one at a time, so I don't derail my train
of thought.

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Dan wrote:

> Hello colleagues,
>
> I am taking a graduate education class on technology in education.
> Our first assignment was to put together a Power Point presentation on
> problems/challenges of integrating  technology with education.
>
> I am focusing on challenges and problems in using technology as part of
> tutor training.  So the questions to which I am seeking an answer is:
>
> What are the major ( or minor) problems or challenges you face (or have
> faced when attempting to integrate technology into your tutor training
> program?

Here at Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute we have few real
problems getting tutor buy-in to technology.  In fact many of our most
successful training workshops have arisen from tutors who see a need we
are not filling for students and suggest a workshop to fill that need!  I
guess because we ARE a technical vocational school, we love technology!
I'm speaking here primarily about computers; however, we have also had
workshops on coping with e-mail questions, surfing the 'net, and
integrating new presentation technology into our workshops.

> What are the major problems or challenges you face when attempting to
> integrate technology into delivering tutorial services.

Well, basically none. We fight as everyone does with getting new programs
and updated hardware to our students as quickly as the budget will allow.
In some cases, (our Writing and Reading Assistance Center, for example)
there is a difference of opinion about whether we should even HAVE
technology available for our students in a tutorial situation when there
are open computer labs available.  Me, I'll fight til the last dawg is
hung to keep technology in the learning centers!

> And,
>
> In general, what is the greatest challenge/problem educators face today in
> relation to teaching and the use of technology?

All you teachers out there, please don't take offense, but our biggest
problem as tutors is trying to get our TEACHERS educated on the latest
technology!  In some cases, they need to learn the basics!  We have some
die-hards who  "have taught for years without technology, and don't see
any reason to change now!"  These folks, however, are more than willing to
take advantage of mandatory lab time!  Guess what, WE, the tutors, end up
teaching the class because the teacher hasn't got a clue!  (Yes, we are
po'ed about this, since the teacher still gets his/her paycheck for
sitting at the desk reading the paper while we get 1/3rd of that paycheck
for teaching the students how to use the computer, how to get an e-mail
account, how to get around in internet, etc!

Hope this helps,

Peggy Keller
English Instructional Technician
Assistance Centers for Education
Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute
525 Buena Vista SE
Albuquerque, NM  87106

P.S.  I love your "badger" handle, Dan!  My Aussie Cattle Dog cross is
named "Badger" too.