In some cases slow development is due to disabilities. I was slow in
developing physically due to cerebral palsy and neurological
disabilities.Hey I did not walk to almost 2 and still do not do it
very well.:) That is not to say that it is due to a bad parent, or
teacher. I think the point was that when disability is not present
and we are talking about people after a certain age who are
able-bodied, than such individuals must take some responsibility for
their own learning. Now that does not mean that we as educators
should not be there to help. Of course we should, that is our job. I
hope this clears up any misunderstanding. Prof L

> The search for who to blame for what some consider is a failure to
> educate children has been going on for centuries and will no doubt
> continue forever.  Maybe I'm weird, but I don't really care why
> underprepared students end up in my developmental classes;  I just care
> about getting them out and into college-level courses!
>
> Here's a thought.  We decide that our educational system has failed
> because some students lack the specific skills and knowledge that
> someone has determined should be acquired by a certain age.  Imagine if
> we did that for babies.  We could say that all children should be
> walking by 12 months and talking in sentences by the age of two.  Well,
> mine walked at 14 months and didn't speak in sentences until he was
> three.  Was I to blame (bad teacher);  was my son (unmotivated)?  Of
> course, if he still hadn't walked by the time he turned 2, something
> would have been wrong.  But it would have been diagnosed and treated -
> without searching for the guilty party.
>
> Maybe those students who lack skills and knowledge are simply not ready
> to acquire them.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Lonna Smith
> San Jose State University