well said Paulette. It does depend on the student's desire. I grew up
under parents who did not even want me to go to college, with a
father who made fun of my disabilities, and in spite of them and
discouragements and severe physical disabilities and limitations, I
still did well in school and now I am pursuing my doctorate and I
teach college. I was not rich and had to balance many obstacles
including financial, and familial discouragement. Again,
responsibility is the key. I hope every socologist reads this post.

Prof L

> I totally agree with Walt's comments quoted below!!!  It depends on what
> the student wants to do -- how academically coachable he/she is -- how
> willing he/she is to let go of old habits and images and risk new ones.
> That's an internal system that I try to impact in every way possible
> each time I contact a student -- but I have to respect where the student
> is at that point in her/his life.
>
> Our society is so focused on laying blame rather than on taking personal
> responsibility.  Having graduated from college in '69, I believe this is
> a product of the sixty's, and, like so much of our inheritance from the
> time of fighting "the establishment", our society is not well-served by
> this no-commitment, blame mentality.
>
> Students blame parents, parents blame welfare, college profs blame high
> school teachers, etc.  Until a student accepts the responsibility and
> the consequences, he/she can not and will not move ahead on the ladder
> of life.
>
> Paulette Church
> Waldorf College
> Forest City, IA  50436
>
> > In my humble opinion, no matter what one does, no matter how many
> > programs
> > you throw money and energy into, if the individual student does not
> > make a
> > personal investment in her/his success, he/she will not succeed in
> > school
> > or any other endeavor, regardless of race, gender, economic status.
> >
> > Call me what you will, but I respect each adult's decision to make it
> > or
> > not. I stand with open arms to those students who want to take
> > advantage,
> > but I avoid chasing students down to try and force them to be
> > successful.
> >
> > Walt
> > Walt Barlow
> > Learning Services Center