we as educators should teach the students such skills, however some
such skills should be taught in the home and in the public schools
before they reach college. Also in the homes and in the public
schools, discipline should also be used in order to coorect
disruptive behavior.Prof L

> Walt, I can see why you added the caveat about the "-isms" at the end of
> your message . . . From the point of view of an "out-of-towner," linking
> "students come to college for all the wrong reasons" with minorities --
> yep, it sounds a bit racist, although I believe that's not how you intended
> it . . .
>
> The behaviors your described . . disruptive . . . avoiding . . .
> disrespectful . . . these won't cut it in life . . . so -- we educators
> have some choices.  We can distance ourselves from the whole problem . . .
> we can blame the problem on others, especially public education . . . we
> can give up  . . . we can say it's someone else's problem to deal with . .
> . or . . .
>
> More to the point, I think it is fair to say that students, regardless of
> race, etc., often come to college lacking some pretty important basic
> skills, such as the ones you mentioned.
> I don't think that necessrily means they're there for the wrong reasons.
> To me, social skills, even motivation are learned skills, not gifts we are
> born with.
>
> And that's the challenge that we educators face.  We can say, sorry, that's
> not my job . . . or we can say, okay, the way I was trained to do my job
> (if I was trained to do my job) is not sufficient . . . I have to learn to
> do more . . . sometimes stuff WAY beyond my original "job description."
>
> I understand your feelings of disillusionment when a student says, I'm here
> for the scholarship.  And I can't judge whether the scholarship is a good
> idea.  Maybe there's an issue about what the scholarship means, or what the
> ground rules of the game are.
>
> Certainly, one question is, if the scholarship gets em in the door, then
> what?  Is there a long-term, realistic plan for each learner?  Is there a
> one-size-fits-all "program" meaningful to practically nobody? . . . You
> said they weren't oriented . . . pretty chaotic -- sounds as if you've got
> a job like trying to log a forest with an axe handle . . . if so, what
> would you rather be doing?
>                                 Neal Steiger
>                       NH Community Technical College
>                         379 New Prescott Hill Road
>                             Laconia NH  03246
>                 phone:  603-524-3207   fax: 603-524-8084
>           "Even a planarian worm can learn."  --Eunice Cornish

Sue Lorraine Lavorata
E-MAIL:  [log in to unmask]