Walt you are not racist or elitist, you are 100% right. Every student
regardless of race, gender, ability (and I am a disabled female and
saying this)socioeconomic status, etc, should come to college to
learn. I have had students (I teach business and marketing) in one of
my marketing classes who were on a scholarship because they were on
welfare and when asked the same question, they said "I am here
because it is free". These students never did their work, and
disrupted the class. Students should come to college because they
want to learn and better themselves, not because Uncle Sam is fitting
the bill, because that comes out of yours and my tax dollars. Prof L

> to college to flunk out:
>
> It must be that I work in an atmosphere much different than you and others
> who have yet to meet a student who did not care one way or the other if
> they succeeded in college or not.
>
> Since I have been to a number of recruiting sessions conducted by our
> Office of Minority Affairs and since the students who respond to these
> recruiting efforts become my clientele, I can tell you that indeed some
> students come to college for all the wrong reasons.
>
> When discussing the poor grades and generally dismal performance of nearly
> half of these students I learn that many of them had little or no
> orientation to college study, took few if any college prep courses
> (although offered in their respective high schools), do not attend class
> regularly (by report of their instructors and by their own admission), do
> not do required reading, do not take sufficient notes, disrupt class, sleep
> in class, do not take advantage of professors who not only offer
> consultations outside of class but plead for students to converse with
> them, do not attend or participate in study groups paid for and organized
> by our office (only students on campus to receive free tutoring), do not
> meet with any of the free individual tutors, etc. etc. etc.
>
> When after learning all of the above depressing info I ask, "Why did you
> come to college?" They typically answer, "For the scholarship." To the tune
> of $3,000/yr. on average per student, the majority of whom did not meet
> standard admissions criteria, and the majority of whom will be continued on
> scholarship for at least 5 semesters (if not the full 5 years) despite
> their failure to meet the stated 2.5 GPA minimum.
>
> Now do you better understand my disillusionment with programs similar to
> the one in which I am mired, which purport to help students who have
> historically been denied access to higher education? But, please do not
> misinterpret my statements as racist or elitist; I simply want each and
> every student, regardless of race, gender, or socioeconomic status to take
> responsibility for her/his success and failure and to cease and desist with
> "helping" programs that only perpetuate the current malaise where
> individuals are stripped of personal responsibility to make the mark or not.
> Walt Barlow
> Learning Services Center
> University of Kentucky
> 660 S. Limestone