But you are a success story because you did not abuse the system and
you were motivated to learn. YOu wanted to learn and you did. You
were only on welfare for 4 years and you are an inspiration to us
all. However others are on it for careers and are not motivated
shining starts like yourself. You are a shining minority. There are a
sea of abusers out there that need to be in check.

Congratulations on a job well done

Prof L

> I would have thought that NOTHING could get me to stop checking placement
> scores for evening classes during the first week of school until I read Carla
> Chapman's remarks.  I am a Dean at a community college.  I went through college
> in Massachusetts on Welfare, a single mother of two children.  Thanks to the
> Commonwealth of Massachusetts, I am not a drug dealer or an overage hooker,
> but a working professional who pays more in taxes each year than I received in
> aid for the entire four years I was on Welfare back in the 70s.
>
> Of the many astonishing claims that Ms. Chapman and others have made, I'll
> concentrate on two:
> "There is nothing more frustrating" than having students in your class who are
> only in it for the money???  Let's think a minute.  Surely there are SOME
> things more frustrating than this experience (which I have had, by the way):
> for example, what about the frustration of being a student in a course where
> the teacher despises you and feels you are incapable of learning??  What about
> being accepted into a classroom in which you are invisible?
>
> The second statement that offended and shocked me is that a motivated student
> will find a way to learn even without government programs.  I'd like to wave my
> magic wand and have every person who's ever uttered this phrase do it herself.
> Did you ever face a situation where you could only get jobs that paid less than
> you needed to live?  I did and, although I am an able and resourceful person, I
> could not manage college without help.  What we all need to acknowledge is
> that programs like the one that got me through college no longer exist.
> Welfare recipients now get job training, not education.  If that.
>
> Brothers and sisters, let's not become jerks just because higher education is
> not shaped to change the world.  Higher ed is mostly designed to replicate the
> class system that already exists.  But now this tool is ours--If we reshape it,
>  we CAN help to change the world.  Students who walk into any classroom may
> have problems and deficiencies
> of various kinds, but nearly all of them also have at least a small glimmer of
> hope--the hope that this
> time, the teacher will see the value they bring with their person to this
> classroom.  I'll just quote Mina Shaughnessey here: "always assume that there
> is a silent student in the back of the romm greater of head and of heart than
> you."
>                                         Susan Andrien

Sue Lorraine Lavorata
E-MAIL:  [log in to unmask]